Sony Ericsson updated Xperia Play R800i / R800a till Android 4.0 ICS, but no udpdates after that. It is one of the first PlayStation-certified Android devices, but Sony doesn’t seem to release Android 4.1.2 Jelly bean for this phone. CM10 Jelly Bean is for the Xperai Play. You can easily install Android 4.1.2 Jelly Bean CM10 on Xperia Play R800i / R800a with the tutorial given below.
As you continue reading below the tutorial, we will tell you how to update Xperia Play R800i / R800a to CM10 Android 4.1.2 Jelly Bean with complete steps and instructions. You will have to backup all your data in the phone because you will have to do a full data wipe during the tutorial. Let’s get on with the tutorial now.
Disclaimer: All the tools, mods or ROMs mentioned below belong to their respective owners/developers. We or the developers are not to be held responsible if you damage or brick your device. We don’t have you on gun point to try out this tutorial
What’s Not Working:
- Lots of features. This ROM is still WIP (work in progress).
Make sure you have installed all your for to it with the computer. Apart from just the USB drivers, there are a few more things that you need to take care of.
1. You need to enable USB debugging mode. This helps to connect your Android phone with the PC.
2. Your phone battery should be 80-85% charged. If your phone goes off suddenly because of battery, during flashing ROMs or installing mods and updates — your phone might go dead permanently.
3. Backup all your important data that you might need as soon as your flash a new ROM, or make a backup for just in case, you never know when anything might go wrong.
Now, let’s proceed with the tutorial on page and update Xperia Play R800i / R800a to Android 4.1.2 Jelly Bean CM10 firmware.
We have put together a step-by-step instructions guide on how to update Xperia Play R800i / R800a to Android 4.1.2 Jelly Bean CM10 custom ROM. If you are used to installing custom ROMs on your Xperia Play, then this should not be any different for you.
However, for beginners, you need to root your Xperia Play and install a custom recovery. Please Google that up if you are unsure and make sure you read the tutorial once before actually performing it on your device.
Just To Remember:
- This Android 4.1.2 Jelly Bean tutorial is only for Xperia Play R800i / R800a and I am not sure if it will work on the other variants of the Xperia Play on other carriers.
- Your phone should be rooted and have ClockworkMod recovery installed from before.
- After installing this, your phone will not be detected by Sony , because you will be installing a custom ROM.
- Make a Nandroid (or any) backup of your phone set up before proceeding – for just in case anything goes wrong.
Complete Step-By-Step Instructions:
Step 2 - and mount your Xperia Play using the USB cable.
Step 3 - Now copy/paste the downloaded Android 4.1.2 ROM zip and Google Apps files to your SD card. Make sure the files are in the SD card root (not in any folder).
Step 4 - Then turn OFF your disconnect from the USB cable.
Step 5 - Now to get in the Recovery Mode. Switch ON the phone while pressing the Volume Down repeatedly.
Step 6 - In ClockworkMod recovery, perform a full data wipe first. Then scroll down to “flash zip from SD card” and press the Power button to select it.
Step 7 - Press the Power button again and select “choose zip from sdcard”.
Step 8 -Now using your volume keys, navigate to the Android 4.1.2 ROM that you copied to your SD card and select it using the Power button. Confirm the installation on screen and the installation should start now.
NOTE: Repeat this step for the Google Apps zip file as well.
Step 9 - After the installation completes, go to “+++++Go Back” and reboot the phone by selecting “reboot system now” from the recovery menu. The phone will boot now and it might take about 5 minutes to boot on your first time. So, please wait.
That’s it! Your Xperia Play R800i / R800a should now have CM10 Android 4.1.2 Jelly Bean custom ROM installed on your phone! Go to Settings > About phone to verify.
You can follow the original project page and latest CM10 builds.
Hit +1 or LIKE to thank us!
If you run into any problems, feel free to drop us a comment below and we will reply you back ASAP with the fix or the to your problem.